Lead AI Engineer & Head of Data Science
Permanent contract Paris (75)
As the Lead AI Engineer & Head of Data Science, your mission will be to develop a multi-level AI program for our online 1v1 turn-based strategy game Shard Tactics. You will also be responsible for setting up high-quality data analysis pipelines, which will both feed the AI program and provide the team with key insights on players.
In particular, your missions will be to :
- Design, develop, test and improve an AI program which can play Shard Tactics autonomously at various Elo levels (think Stockfish for a strategy game with complex characters ! )
- Develop, implement and improve our data infrastructure and data analysis tools to capture relevant gameplay data :
- Players' in-game behaviour
- Playrate and winrate by character / build / item
- Playrate and winrate by team composition (through clustering)
- Provide the team with clear dashboards and relevant inputs to inform game design, game development and marketing decisions
- Manage and mentor the AI engineer / data scientist whom you will be able to hire to support you
You will explore various AI approaches, such as search algorithms with evaluation functions (using expert rules and /or neural networks) as well as reinforcement learning, to determine the optimal approach for Shard Tactics' AI. This AI program will serve as :
- Training partner for players,
- Potential matchmaking solution in the early days of the game, and
- Internal tool to test balancing changes.
- You have several years of work experience in AI and / or data science, ideally in the gaming industry or an adjacent space
- You have strong knowledge of at least one of the two major AI approches being considered : search algorithms with evaluation functions (using expert rules and /or neural networks) as well as reinforcement learning
- You enjoy researching innovative solutions to complex problems
- You are analytical and you are proficient in a relevant data visualization tool
- You are proficient in at least one programming language used for data science (Python, Julia, R...), as well as in creating and querying databases
- You speak French and English fluently
- You are autonomous and proactive, you enjoy designing and implementing AI programs from scratch
- You want to join a young and ambitious studio and set up top-notch tools from the outset
- Interest for turn-based strategy games
- Interest for competitive online games
We have received a significant grant from BPI France to research and develop Shard Tactics' AI program.
In this context, we are looking for passionate and driven individuals to join our young and ambitious studio !
We offer our employees competitive salaries and the opportunity to becomes shareholders in the company, as well as comprehensive benefits (health insurance, meal vouchers...).
We offer our employees the opportunity to combine in-office work (3 days a week) and remote work (2 days a week). Our offices are located in the very center of Paris (52 boulevard de Sébastopol).
We are looking for someone to start around January 2023.
CV, cover letter
To: Antoine & Alexandre Colin